Sunday, January 20, 2008

Spinach Salad with Apples and Mustard Vinaigrette

Spinach Salad with Apples and Mustard VinaigretteI love salads. Make that I really love salads and they're so good for you. I come from a family of women that make fabulous salads and when we get together at family functions I'm always anticipating some new masterpiece to add to my repertoire.

This one came from my mother and was originally made with bibb lettuce which tastes wonderful of course but I like the added vitamin punch the spinach gives and a bag of prewashed, precut spinach at Costco is so cheap that I always have one on hand.

Don't forget to toast the walnuts, it's the difference between "This is good" and "Wow! Can I get the recipe?"

For the dressing:
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

For the salad:
6 cups bibb lettuce (or spinach)
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup toasted walnuts

Technorati tags:

23 comments:

Robin said...

I'm going to try this this week. I need major salad inspiration by mid-winter, I just can't eat them when it's cold out. I make a great spinach and strawberry salad, but we could use a change.

Michelle Glauser said...

It's too bad I never grew to appreciate salads properly, because I bet salad appreciators would really enjoy this one.

Liza on Maui said...

This looks yummy! Will definitely do this! I'm always looking for good salad recipes. This looks like a winner!

email said...

This looks great! I'm printing the recipe to try.

Anonymous said...

...licking my lips..drooling...

yum yum, gimme some! Sure wish I could get the rest of the family to salads...though, this one is worthy of making for just ME !

Thanks!

MommyTime said...

mmmmm...sounds like a fabulous antidote to the birthday party madness we indulged in yesterday...and so good it will be painless. Though I'm making it with almonds, which I can eat toasted all the day long, and which are sooooo much better than walnuts if you're allergic to walnuts. ;)

Kelly said...

That sounds so yummy!

luvmy4sons said...

Being 90% raw vegan I would not add the blue cheese but it sounds wonderful! I am always on the look out for something new. This is great!

Fresh Girl said...

I pretty much despise blue cheese...do you think feta could be substitute well for it?

Lore said...

Another "healthy-bites" type of recipe. I absolutely love it!

Amy said...

That looks so yummy. You are really pushing that healthy food. :) I love it!

Beth Cotell said...

This salad looks wonderful!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Yippee! I had a half of a bag of spinach sitting in the fridge after our get together this weekend. I needed an idea of what to do with it. You posted a winner and I am printing now!

Ter said...

sounds great!

btw, we made one of your recipes the other day. I'll be posting about it on Monday!

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! I just posted a salad also. Great minds...

Anonymous said...

YUM! I LOVE good salads too. This one looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

This sounds YUMMY! And it's even good for you...LOL! Thanks for sharing!
sblilly14(@)yahoo(.)com

Robyn said...

Thank you! I love your recipes. I haven't tried any yet, but I print them up for when I have a chance to make something.

Unknown said...

I have something for you at my blog.

J said...

Ooop...I need to go to the store RIGHT NOW to get ingredients for this. Looks totally yummy.

Ter said...

I featured you in my blog today!

http://withanangelonmyshoulder.blogspot.com/2008/01/menu-plan-monday-january-19-25.html

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I made an orange and spinach salad this weekend. Looks like this one is next.

Robyn said...

I just want to say that this was sooooooooo delicious!